Monday, September 22, 2008

What I've Been Thinking...

WARNING: This is going to be a rambly as hell post.

I've been thinking a lot about relationships, about what self-exploration can do for you versus the kinds of growth and learning that comes from interactions with others. I've been thinking about how I've spent 19 years figuring out everything on my own, a years debating what the place for others was in this schema, and now that I've decided to let other people help me, I'm confronting the possibility that I am leaning too much on others to challenge and push me. Is it true that I have ceased to push myself?

I've also been reading a sweet blog by a kinky anarchist genderqueer on the west coast (they always are). http://subversivesub.wordpress.com . It makes me think I should post more about kink...

3 comments:

Queers United said...

Identity formation is a tough thing, I think you have to balance it out, hearing from others experiences and deciding which ones are right and wrong for you.

Monica said...

Maybe the question should not be, what can others teach me about myself? but rather what can others teach me about themselves? about the world at large?

And then there's the whole Buddhist perspective on non-self and that out attempts at identity formation are just another another form of clinging....

This whole line of inquiry seems very inwardly focussed, which is not neccessarily a bad thing, but it seems to exclude a lot of other opportunities.

Jake said...

I yet again realise how different I am from all your other friends when you make an interesting post (about a topic we've even discussed and I think matters) and my response is a cheeky "oh baby oh baby" and a (slightly) unrelated "you should totally see the bed in my hotel room tonight! It's totally made for bdsm (but not in a sketchy, 'I'm in a sleazy motel' sorta way)." Love!